Dilapidation Inspection for Residential Properties

A dilapidation inspection and written report helps protect builders from false or exaggerated claims of damage during construction from neighbouring property owners. The report records the current condition, noting any defects or problems of the neighbouring properties before the construction works begin. The report also helps property owners if structural damage or any other adverse effects are caused to their properties by the nearby construction works.

A dilapidation report (sometimes referred to as condition inspections) is in the interests of both parties and is often required as part of Building Permit protection works notices. Houspect provides this service as an independent and unbiased inspection company established for more than 30 years. Sometimes your building surveyor will recommend Houspect to be commissioned to provide the dilapidation surveys, or you book us as part of your own project risk-management.

The nearby construction works could be a new home build or renovations, or drilling and digging to install water supply or sewer pipelines, paths, roads, level crossing removals, tunnels and other government infrastructure upgrades.

Houspect provides independent dilapidation inspections for all types of properties across greater Melbourne and regional Victoria including Geelong, Bendigo, Ballarat, Warragul and surrounding areas. Our clients include many of the well known water supply authorities, large construction and development businesses, civil works and demolition firms – you would see their brand names on numerous building sites and cranes across Victoria. But we also provide the inspections for suburban home owners doing small renovations along a common boundary and local low-rise re-developments.

Why do you need a Dilapidation Inspection Report?

Demolition, excavation or construction work can all potentially cause damage to occur in adjacent residential and commercial properties, or public assets. For example, digging and excavation, heavy equipment operation, vehicle traffic and other associated activity can cause soil slippage or erosion, gaps and cracks to structural and retaining walls, or damage to fences, paving, gutters, concrete driveways, landscaping, trees, gardens and outbuildings.

Often dilapidation surveys are required as part of building permits and protection works notices. You may want to refer to the Victorian Building Act Part 7 – Protection of Adjoining Property, Sections 94 Survey of adjoining property, Section 95 Entry on adjoining property, Section 96 Adjoining owner and adjoining occupier not to obstruct.

What Does the Report Provide?

A Houspect Dilapidation Inspection report is a comprehensive and independent document completed in accordance with the Victorian Building Act and regulations.

Our qualified Building Inspectors will undertake a property assessment to carefully survey and document the current internal and external condition of the subject properties. The report will note any existing building defects, such as cracks, gaps or subsidence to each property with photographic evidence to support the report findings.

Subsequently, if a problem does arise, the Dilapidation Report can be referenced to assist in resolving disputes between property owners and building contractors or construction companies. A post-construction inspection and report may be requested. The reports and photographs help avoid court action or civil litigation. So, for a relatively small cost, a Residential Dilapidation Inspection Report done prior to commencement of work will help all parties.

About Houspect Building Inspectors

Houspect Building Inspectors are licensed builders with many years’ experience in the industry, so we can provide you with unbiased, independent property condition assessments.

View our eBrochure

What Does Our Dilapidation Inspection Cover?

Our Dilapidation Inspection covers all the property essentials which may be negatively impacted by adjacent or neighbouring construction works. We record cracks, gaps, subsidence and condition of;

  • Internal walls, cornices, ceilings, skirting boards, architraves and flooring, windows and doors
  • External walls, doorways and windows – structural movement or subsidence.
  • Concrete driveways, other paving, pool areas, retaining walls, fences, garages, basements, outbuildings.
  • Public assets – footpaths, crossovers, kerbs and channels, road surfaces, service pit covers, light poles, signage, bollards, street furniture, playgrounds, etc.

To book a Dilapidation Inspection, or to discuss the scope, call Houspect on 03 9808 4000, email us at info@houspectvic.com.au or complete our online enquiry form.

Latest News