Dilapidation Inspections for Major Projects

If you are undertaking major building or civil works programs as an engineer/project manager, you will most likely be required by the Victorian Building Act and Regulations to complete dilapidation inspections to all the neighbouring properties and public assets.

Large projects may involve drilling and excavation to install water supply or sewer pipelines, paths, new roads, level crossing removals, tunnels and other government infrastructure upgrades.

Surrounding buildings and public assets can potentially sustain cracking and subsidence caused by vibrations from excavation, compaction, heavy equipment, dust and soil erosion or other impacts.

Call the experts at Houspect on 03 9808 4000 so we can help you assess and manage your project risks and develop a practical scope for condition reports. Or send us your RFQ via email on info@houspectvic.com.au

Our clients include many of the well known water supply authorities, large construction companies, civil works and demolition firms – you would see their brand names on numerous building sites and cranes across Victoria. But we also provide the inspections for suburban home owners doing small and sensitive renovations along a common boundary, and local low-rise re-developments.

Requirements for Dilapidation Inspection Reports

Demolition, excavation or construction work can all potentially cause damage to occur in adjacent residential and commercial properties and public assets.

Often dilapidation surveys are required as part of building permits and protection works notices. You may want to refer to the Victorian Building Act Part 7 – Protection of Adjoining Property, Sections 94 Survey of adjoining property, Section 95 Entry on adjoining property, Section 96, Adjoining owner and adjoining occupier not to obstruct. Sometimes your building surveyor will recommend Houspect to be commissioned to provide the dilapidation surveys, or you book us as part of your own project risk-management.

What Does the Report Provide?

A Houspect Dilapidation Inspection report is a comprehensive and independent document completed in accordance with the Victorian Building Act and regulations.

Our Building Inspectors will undertake a property assessment to carefully survey and document the current internal and external condition of the subject properties. The report will note any existing building defects, such as cracks, gaps or subsidence to each property with photographic evidence to support the report findings.

Subsequently, if a problem does arise, the Dilapidation Reports can be referenced to assist in resolving disputes between property owners and building contractors or construction companies. A post-construction inspection and report may be requested. The reports and photographs help avoid court action or civil litigation. So, for a relatively small cost, a Dilapidation Inspection done prior to commencement of works will help all parties.

About the Houspect Building Inspector

Houspect Building Inspectors are licensed builders with many years’ experience in the industry, so we can provide you with unbiased, independent property condition assessments. Many have been project managers and most have 25 years or more experience in the construction industry. Some have the diploma of building surveying and we can allocate an architect if appropriate to the job. We are thorough, balanced and experienced.

Houspect provides independent dilapidation inspections for all types of properties across greater Melbourne and regional Victoria including Geelong, Bendigo, Ballarat, Warragul and most of Victoria. Houspect provides national coverage with operations in NSW, WA, SA and NT.

View our eBrochure

What Does Our Dilapidation Service Include?

We liaise with you to scope the areas of risk and define the survey areas. We can send an inspector to meet your engineer on site to walk/drive the areas of concern and define the scope on location. We record cracks, gaps, subsidence and condition of;

  • Internal walls, cornices, ceilings, skirting boards, architraves and flooring, windows and doors
  • External walls, doorways and windows – structural movement or subsidence.
  • Concrete driveways, other paving, pool areas, retaining walls, fences, garages, basements, outbuildings.
  • Public assets – footpaths, crossovers, kerbs and channels, road surfaces, service pit covers, light poles, signage, bollards, street furniture, playgrounds, etc.

To book Dilapidation Inspections for your project, or to discuss the scope, call Houspect on 03 9808 4000, email us at info@houspectvic.com.au or complete our online enquiry form.

Latest News