Final Handover And New Home Building Inspections Melbourne and Victoria
For peace of mind before Handover of your new home, have a Houspect independent building inspector thoroughly check all components so that you get the best result.
Houspect provides professional Handover Inspections & Reports for home owners and investors in Melbourne and regional Victoria including Bendigo, Ballarat, Geelong, Warragul and surrounding areas.
Building a new home is a complex process and a Handover Inspection (often conducted at Practical Completion) is vital to ensure that all work has been completed to an acceptable standard before you move in.
Why Have a Final Handover Inspection Report Done?
A Final Handover Inspection is a very thorough inspection process conducted once your builder has finished construction and a final site clean has been completed.
At this stage, this is your last opportunity to check that the workmanship of your new home has been completed to an acceptable standard prior to occupation. Houspect’s written report will list all defects, all incomplete works and unsatisfactory work, with photographs and references to the building codes.
It is much easier to have defects and potential problems rectified before moving in.
What Does the Report Provide?
Houspect Building Inspectors use a detailed checklist to identify any defects or imperfections, with the comprehensive report results providing you with a full and detailed description of the final condition of the completed construction work in an easy to understand format. The report also contains a Glossary of Technical Terms to assist you in understanding your results.
Many clients simply hand the Final Inspection Report to their builder, who then uses the checklist to address any rectification needs. If a dispute subsequently arises with the builder, the Handover Inspection Report can be used to facilitate the dispute resolution process.
What is Houspect’s Method?
Houspect conducts inspections by using checklists for each Stage (regularly updated according to building codes and standards) and your construction plans to ensure your house is being built according to;
- Your final plans and specifications and any variation forms.
- The requirements of the Building Codes and Tolerances.
- A good standard of workmanship.
About Houspect Building Inspectors
Our Building Inspectors are licensed builders (through the Victorian Building Authority) and have many years hands on building experience and are there ideal for new home building inspections in Melbourne and surrounding areas. Some of our inspectors also have a Diploma of Building Surveying.
What’s covered in our Handover Inspection Reports?
The final handover inspection report is a comprehensive and detailed report about the whole house. There are too many items to list here but as a guide we inspect on your behalf the following;
- Brickwork and cladding, straight, cleaned, mortar rough or voids, render
- Balconies and stairs
- Roof Frame, insulation and sarking
- Roof Cover (inspection is sometimes limited by safety regulations) breakage or cracks in tiles. Metal sheeting fixed firmly. Ridges, valleys, pipe penetrations, flashings
- Guttering and downpipes fitted, falls, clean of debris. Rain heads, overflows
- Fixtures and fittings
- Plasterwork and ceilings, straight, dented, marked
- Paintwork and sealants, starved, runs, over-painting
- Showers, baths, vanities, WC
- Tiling, grout voids, caulking and finishes
- Kitchen benches, splash backs, tiling, cabinetry fixing and caulking, shelving, pantry, appliances, fittings
- Laundry trough, benches, taps, drainage outlet, tiling
- Windows and glazing, (scratches, breakages, gaps)
- Doors (dimensions, margins, hung straight, handles and locks)
- Architraves and skirting, (mitres, finishes)
- Fences and out-buildings
For more information on new home building inspections in Melbourne or to book a Handover or Practical Completion Inspection, call Houspect on 03 9808 4000, email us at [email protected] or complete our online enquiry form.