How sure are you that the electrical work in your home is safe? As the occupants of one Adelaide home recently found out, shoddy electrical fittings are nothing short of a potential booby-trap. After hiring a cowboy electrician, who used a counterfeit licence number on his certificate of compliance, the occupants narrowly escaped electrocution when a fan dislodged from its mountings.
Due to the fact that the fan was not grounded, the occupants of the property would have almost certainly been electrocuted had they touched any of the conductive materials in the fan. The fake tradesman was subsequently fined over $10,000. The Office of the Technical Regulator also put out an urgent warning to other homeowners who had hired the unlicensed tradesman to have their electrical work checked.
The homeowners in this case were conned into believing they had hired a licensed electrician. However, there are many homeowners that do not check the credentials of the tradespeople that they hire. Cowboy electricians know this and prey on homeowners who are not aware that they can check the credentials of tradespeople.
The dangers of unlicensed electrical work cannot be understated. The most immediate danger is from electrocution, which could result in the loss of life. Every component used in electrical wiring must meet codes and standards, and work should never be carried out by an unqualified individual.
Then there is the very real danger of electrical fires to consider. Ask any fire fighter and they will tell you that electrical fires are one of the most common causes of serious house fires. As the result of shoddy electrical work, these fires can break out at any time. So, even if you take every precaution to ensure that your electrical appliances are switched off at night, dodgy work can still result in a fire breaking out while you are sleeping.
The human body is an excellent conduit for electricity, so it is essential that all necessary precautions are taken to protect yourself and your family from the risk of electrocution. An experienced electrician will ensure that all electrical work meets safety codes and standards.
Besides the potential dangers posed by shoddy electrical work, there is also a cost element involved. You may save money in the short term by hiring an unlicensed electrician, but if the standard of work is poor you will end up paying the price in the long run.
Electrical installations that do not meet code or use unsuitable materials are more likely to fail. That could result in you having to pay to replace the wiring in your entire home. In extreme cases you may need to have extensive renovation work carried out in order to correct faulty electrical installations.
Old electrical wiring systems can also present a problem if your electrician does not know how to properly integrate new wiring. The greatest threat from old wiring systems is that they were not designed to cope with the loads that we expect from our wiring in the modern age.
A knowledgeable and licensed electrician can assess the wiring in your home to determine if integration is possible, or if the wiring needs replacing. Additionally, old wiring in Southern Australia is subject to all relevant codes and standards.
One of the main areas of concern in a building inspection is the electrical wiring in a home. Whether you are building or buying a home, it is important to have the wiring checked for safety and compliance. Houspect can provide an electrical overview as part of our building inspection to help you determine if your wiring is up to code or needs replacing.