How do I maintain my smoke alarms?
28 Feb, 2013 | 61 views
For smoke alarms to remain in working order they should be tested and maintained regularly.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services recommends the following maintenance routine:
- Testing once per month to ensure the battery and the alarm sounder are operating.
- Replacing batteries annually, (mains powered smoke alarms have back-up batteries).
- Check your smoke alarm for a build-up of dust and cobwebs and clean with a vacuum cleaner at least every six months.
- Vacuum with a soft brush attachment around the smoke alarm vents.
- Use a surface insect spray around the smoke alarm to prevent insects nesting inside.
- Smoke alarms should never be painted.