Why do WA Home Buyers & Investors need a Pre-Purchase Structural Inspection?
Purchasing a new home or property is one of life’s major decisions. Rarely can you get a good understanding of what is happening within a property during one or two visits at home opens or private viewings. It can be very beneficial when you buy your new property to obtain an independent building inspection from a Registered Builder with at least 20 years construction experience.
The majority of pre-purchase structural inspections in WA are usually integrated as a purchase condition into the “Offer to Purchase Contract”. Under these contract pre conditions, the buyer can make their offer subject to certain conditions which must be satisfied prior to the contract becoming unconditional. Common conditions include subject to “finance”, “pest (termite) inspections” and or “building inspections”. What becomes absolutely key is the wording of the pre-purchase building condition clause and how that clause operates.
In relation to WA building inspections the Real Estate Institute of WA provides associated Real Estate Agents with the wording for a suggested pre-purchase structural inspection clause. This clause has some very positive attributes but there are also some limitations. The key issue is that the clause can generally only be invoked if a structural defect is identified in the property. The Houspect WA pre-purchase structural inspection is specifically designed to identify, where they exist, structural defects (as defined in AS 4349) in buildings.
Important to note that a structural inspection focuses solely on the structural soundness of key building elements. In particular, these inspections are specifically designed to identify structural defects as defined by AS4349.1 and referred to in the often utilised REIWA Structural Building Inspection clause.
What are the benefits of a Pre-Purchase Structural Inspection?
Completed in accordance with Australian Standard 4349, a Houspect Structural Inspection is a visual inspection of all the building components of the property and seeks to identify structural defects. Understanding the structural integrity of the property will enable the buyer to progress with their property purchase with greater confidence in the building structure.
What Does the Report Provide?
A Houspect Structural Inspection Report is a thorough, independent document completed in accordance with the Australian Standard 4349.1.
During a structural inspection, our building inspectors focus specifically on identifying existing structural-only defects.
What Does Our Structural Inspection Cover?
Our Structural Inspection includes a visual inspection of the following areas of the building, subject to reasonable access:
- Roof frame
- Load bearing walls
- Under floor structures (when safe OH&S access is available)
- Boundary fences and retaining walls
- Safety omissions
About your Houspect Building Inspector
In WA, building inspections and building inspectors are unregulated. As a consequence it is important that you have total confidence in the quality, skills, experience and professionalism of your building inspector. At Houspect WA:
- Every one of our building inspectors is a WA Registered Builder in their own right. Their Builders Registration number is recorded in every report.
- Every building inspector has a minimum of 20 years direct construction industry experience.
- Our building inspectors are fully insured with Professional Indemnity and Public Liability.
- Every inspection report produced by Houspect WA is subject to a minimum of two levels of quality assurance review prior to being released.
- Our state wide clients and building inspectors are supported by a dedicated, knowledgeable and experienced customer service team based in our Balcatta operations centre.
- All calls, enquiries or bookings are addressed promptly and professionally by our customer service team during our business hours of 8.30 am to 5.00 pm.
- Our building inspectors are located across the entire Perth metropolitan area and in most major regional centres in WA.
Houspect WA or its Directors maintain a number of important professional memberships including:
- Master Builders Association of WA
- Housing Industry Association
- Strata Community Association of WA
- Australian Institute of Conveyances WA
During the 20 plus years of operating in WA, Houspect has conducted in excess of 50,000 quality building inspections.
Buy, build and invest with confidence with Houspect WA.