• When buying or selling make sure all structures are council approved to avoid delays

    8 Apr, 2013 | 55 views

    Under Western Australian legislation (Building Act 2011) a building permit is required before commencement of most building work. Formal approval (a building permit) is required for any building work involving the development of new structures, alterations or extensions and changes in ground levels. These include:

    • Swimming pools, spas and barriers
    • Fences
    • Garden sheds
    • Verandahs
    • Gazebos
    • Garages
    • Workshops
    • Pergolas
    • Dwellings
    • Commercial buildings including fitouts and refurbishments
    • Industrial buildings
    • Changes to ground levels (e.g. cutting and filling soil)
    • Retaining walls.

    The Building Regulations 2012 details building work for which a Building Permit is not required. Although a Building Permit may not be required for all works, it does not exempt those works which may require Planning Approval. If the total value of the work exceeds $20,000 a permit is issued to a registered builder, or in some circumstances, an owner builder.

    Upon issue of a Building Permit by the permit authority, works shall be completed within 24 months of issue date, or other time frame as specified by the permit authority. It is important to ensure sufficient time for assessment of your Building Permit.

    Houspect can also check anybuilding work you undertake to ensure it meets the necessary criteria

    Houspect Building Inspections

    Buy Build and Invest with Confidence