Downward trends in the housing market can have a significant impact on the value of your home. The right renovations, whether small or large, can make a big difference. In this article, Houspect offers great little tips on how to add value to your property even when in the most unfavourable market.
One of the best renovations to increase the value of your home and where you can make the greatest improvements is the exterior of your home. Timber decking, alone, offers one of the best renovations to increase value and will usually improve curb appeal and add a desirable feature. When home buyers are looking at properties, they typically shortlist those that need the least work.
With that in mind, here is a shortlist of modern home improvements to consider with ideas on how to add value to your property.
Timber is warm and inviting, which is a feature that is always popular with individuals and families on the property ladder. A timber deck is both an aesthetic improvement and a practical feature in your yard.
It provides a level area for dining or simply relaxing outdoors. The comfort afforded by timber decking is something that you should consider when you have room in the budget for an outdoor construction project.
Considering the inclusion of a timber deck offers multiple advantages which include the following :
- It Offers a Natural Look To Your Home: The use of natural wood provides a much more homely experience offering a more natural look to your flooring.
- Durability and Ease of Maintenance: Timber decking generally requires very little cleaning and maintenance in its lifetime. Aside from polishing the wood from time to time, this is all that is really needed. It is however recommended that you protect your timber from natural elements such as direct sunlight.
- Affordability: In general, considering timber is affordable and shouldn’t cost too much. This is of course does depend on which type of wood you are considering. Still, this is a good price considering the fact that you’ll be giving your home a makeover. That said, the cost of decking is easily recouped by the value it adds to your home if you have future plans of selling up.
Outside Sheltered Spaces
Another area on how to increase the value of your house is outside sheltered spaces. Pergolas, verandas and patios are great additional features for the exterior of the home. Come rain or shine, you should have no problem spending time outside.
During summer, these features provide spaces to cool off when the sun becomes too much to bear. These features also provide shelter from the less than desirable weather we can sometimes suffer. The value these projects can add should not be understated. Outside sheltered spaces are highly desirable in the NSW housing market.
Curb appeal is important. One of the biggest turnoffs for homebuyers is an unmaintained yard. An artificial lawn is beneficial for homeowners who are not overly enthused by the prospect of doing yard work, including gardening. It doesn’t grow and is unaffected by any of the issues with which real grass has to contend with.
Some of the advantages therefore include :
- Not having to shell out money on fertilizer
- Not having to worry about watering your grass and therefore improving your odds of collecting a water restriction fine
- No need for pesticides
- Considerably improved life expectancy
For some homebuyers, this is an attractive prospect and can therefore be considered as one of the best renovations to increase value for your home.
If you have space and the budget, consider installing a swimming pool. Whether you are selling your home or not, a swimming pool is a great feature for sharing time with family or friends. Aside from really helping add value to your home, it offers a number of distinct advantages, which include the following :
- Numerous health benefits
- A great addition for family get-togethers
- Adds to the tranquillity of your home
- Brings exercise right to your doorstep
- Can help you cool down during hot days
It is however important to consider the climate where you live. It is always important to speak to a property appraiser before taking on a pool installation project, as it can come at a significant cost.
When you choose the right estate agent, knowing which home improvements to choose is a much simpler task. However, it is difficult to imagine being able to complete larger projects in the process of putting a home on the market. It is therefore important to familiarise yourself with the features that are trending on the property market. An estate agent or similar professional in the industry can provide advice on these issues.
Re-Painting Your Home
First on the list is re-painting your home. Often considered a powerful renovation tool, applying a fresh lick of paint can really make a big difference and apply a nice lift. For more painting ideas, read our blog on painting aluminium window frames and painting bathroom tiles.
Low-maintenance landscaping can help improve the appeal of your home and really entice future homebuyers should you ever decide to sell. This is definitely an exterior home renovation that adds value.
Upgrade Your Front Door
Your front door is one of the first things your guests are going to see as they walk into your home and is, therefore, a critical part of any visitor’s first impression. Sprucing up your front door by adding a lick of paint, upgrading the front porch light or even including a new doormat can go a long way for modern home improvements.
Read More From Our Blog
For more tips on modern improvements and how to add value to your home, read our blog posts on land zoning , how to paint aluminium windows, plaster ceiling repair , replacing a window frame and more.
Call today if you have any questions about an outdoor project.